Selecting The Best Weather API For Your Project
Selecting a weather API can be a frustrating task for product managers and developers alike. When you’re looking for a weather API like AerisWeather offers or choose a different provider, you’ve probably encountered some of the same roadblocks as others. Difficulties can include selecting an API that fits the right features into a price point that your budget allows or includes specific, much needed datapoints. We’re taking steps to make API selection easier than ever by highlighting opportunities to save time and get to production faster.
Strategic Weather API Selection
Developing a great API strategy for your business requires strategy and foresight. Here are some quick tips for selecting the best weather API:
- Your developers don’t want to deal with endless hassles from multiple data sources applied to the same input. Select an API that can scale with your business by supporting the data and volume you need today, but also the data and volume you’ll need in a year or more. This will prevent expensive and risky hot swaps and minimize application downtime. A highly flexible API like our own will also allow you to downgrade on the fly if for any reason business takes a hit and usage drops.
- Select an API with a free developer trial so you aren’t paying for development time. Many developer trials are flexible and can be extended beyond their initial duration.
- Developer toolkits might feel like a luxury in the context of simpler integrations, but as your implementation becomes more ingrained in your whole business environment, it’s important to take advantage of vendor-provided SDKs when available as they provide additional functionality for mapping, analysis, and more. Seeking an API provider that provides these feature-rich wrappers for APIs can save valuable development time and money.
- Seek an API provider reputable for their customer service or purchase additional support resources when available. This will save you headaches when you move into production as uptime is always of the essence.
- Look for other tools and widgets provided by API vendors. For example, AerisWeather’s API and map layers are underpinned by powerful Wizards that let you craft API queries to drop into your applications without writing a single line of code.
A great weather API is an investment like many other contextual data sources for business. Following these simple tips can aid you in making the most of it. As Weather API and Map Layer providers since 2016, the AerisWeather API serves the needs of some of the largest and most innovative companies in more than 150 countries and we have tailored our options to meet their demands.
Try our API and see for yourself! Contact our sales staff today to help make your integration a breeze.
Alternatively, take AerisWeather’s free, 30-day developer trial for a spin!
Share this post:
An API which supports retrieving multiple data sets in a single batch request is a bonus for developers. With modern languages embracing JSON and providing simple decoding of JSON to model objects, makes using the batch approach a breeze.
We faced a lot of challenges orchestrating 4-5 network requests on the Apple Watch for displaying complication data. Switching to the AerisWeather batch request has simplified the code and we (we’re still in beta) are getting good feedback from our testers around more reliable and timely updates on the watch.
It’s my top feature of the API!